It is that time of year again when the best restaurants in town swing open their doors and the top chefs sharpen their favourite tools to show Melbourne the best-of-the-best food in town.
It can be very hard to eat healthy food when you go out, so I have put together a list of Good Food Month events where you can indulge in healthy food and have a fabulous time. Remember to keep portion sizes small.
types of nutrition packed foods. Try to steer away from deep fried options and choose the fresh stir-fry’s, steamed food, barbecues and salads. If you can’t resist the Gelato Messina (fare enough too!), share with a friend to keep the portion size down.
2. Wellness vs Wickedness Dinner. This dinner is unique. You can experience food from the pinnacle of health retreats, the Golden Door, and see how it compares to designer pub food from the Grand Hotel. This dinner will give you a great insight into what is healthy and what is not so healthy….
3. For “Let’s Do Lunch” try Sarti Restaurant for the squid ink pasta with crab, fresh tomato, garlic and chilli, Maha for its Middle Eastern Meze and healthy grilled dishes, Gazi for the
nourishing Mediterranean style lunch box including olives, fish, salads and more; and finally The French Brasserie for their delectable salad nicoise.
4. Ceviche Pop-Up Bar. Ceviche is citrus-cured fish. It is light, nutritious and very healthy. Head along to experience ceviche made by chef Alejandro Saravia of Pastuso, along with chef Virgilio Martinez from the fourth best restaurant in the world!
5. No Bull: An All-Vegan Affair. Sometimes it is hard to think of meals without meat. Shane Delia from Maha will show you how to make vegetable-based meals that are delicious and very nutritious at the same time. Then you could give "Meat Free Mondays" a go too!
6. Seafood Regions of Australia at Tipo OO. Australians don’t consume enough seafood, we should eat fish at least twice a week. This event will give you lots of ideas for delicious seafood dinners at home.
7. The Art of the Tart. Run by food rescue charity FareShare with Flo Gerardin, head chef at Ôter, this fabulous hands-on event will show you how easy it is to make a nutrition filled quiche at home.